Recipe by Pinaygourmet #345142
Skip the canned pasta sauces! Make a good, homemade sauce for a traditional spaghetti and meatballs dinner. From Cosmopolitan Magazine.
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 4 slices white bread
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 2 large egg whites
- 8 ounces lean ground turkey
- 8 ounces extra lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup grated romano cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 (28 ounce) cans whole tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the bread into a medium mixing bowl and pour the milk over it. Let sit 5 minutes. Add the egg whites, ground turkey, ground beef, Romano cheese, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Knead the mixture with your hands until it is smooth.
- To prevent sticking, dip your hands into cool water before forming each meatball. Form mixture into 30 1 1/2-inch balls.
- Prepare Basic Tomato Sauce: In a medium, heavy-bottom saucepan, stir together the oil, onion and garlic. Cook over low heat, stirring often, until the onion is very soft and aromatic, about 6 to 8 minutes. In a food processor or blender, puree the tomatoes. Add the tomatoes and tomato paste to the onions and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Reduce the heat to very low and let the sauce simmer slowly for 30 minutes, stirring the bottom often to prevent burning. If you are adding meatballs, do so at this time, and simmer them in the sauce for 20 minutes, stirring often. If you are not adding meatballs, simmer the sauce for another 20 minutes (50 minutes total). Season to taste with salt and pepper. When finished, pour it into a large, heavy-bottom saucepan and bring to a simmer over low heat.
- Warm 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil in a large non-stick skillet. Add half the meatballs to the skillet and brown them on all sides. Spoon the meatballs into the tomato sauce. Add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil to the skillet and brown the rest of the meatballs, then add them to the sauce. Simmer, stirring, for 20 minutes.
- While sauce is simmering, prepare pasta according to package directions; drain. Transfer to a large serving bowl. Remove bay leaves from sauce; pour sauce over pasta and serve.