Recipe by fireball
i got this recipe from an italian friend on a trip to the spanish isle of mallorca quite a few years ago and cannot find another to touch it.
Top Tweak by milestohome
MODIFICATIONS: Black forest Bacon, 4 thick slices, Sweet Italian pork sausage about 1/3-1/2 lb along with lean ground beef 1 lb, about 3 T tomato paste and no oregano.. As I don't do carbs I served it over spaghetti squash tossed with browned butter and topped with freshly grated Reggiano
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 carrot
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 onion
- 4 ounces streaky bacon
- 1 lb hamburger or 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (14 ounce) canchopped tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 4 ounces mushrooms
- 1⁄4 pint beef stock
- 1 glass red wine
- 2 tablespoons double cream
- 3⁄4 tablespoon tomato puree
Directions See How It's Made
- Gently melt the butter & oil in a large pan which can be covered.
- Add chopped carrot, onion, celery, bacon & bay leaves, gently cook until golden.
- Add minced steak & garlic, season well with salt & pepper, cook until meat is no longer pink.
- Add wine,cook until liquid reduces a little, add mushrooms thyme& oregano.
- Blend the tomato puree with the beef stock,then add to pan along with the tinned tomatoes, stir well then cover and cook on lowest possible heat for a couple of hours. The secret to this dish is long, slow cooking as to allow the flavors to meld.
- As this dish slowly simmers you will need to add more liquid; use either wine or a little water.I find a little wine does best.
- After two hours or so remove from heat, remove bay leaves, add 2 tbsp of cream, stir well, serve with hot pasta or spaghetti with fresh baked garlic bread and grated cheese.