Recipe by STARTERWIFE
IN MEMORY OF MY MOM. This chicken, taught to me by my Mom when I was about 12 years old, was the way everyone I knew did it in Mississippi and Georgia. I hope you like it. It has a crispy, huge thick coating with the southern "touch" (the magical ingredients being the vinegar and baking powder) and tender inside. Oh ! my ! never a chicken like this.
Top Review by Baby Kato
Wow, wow, wow. We really enjoyed this tasty fried treat. I used chicken drumsticks and they were perfectly cooked, moist, crispy and tender. I can't wait to make this again. I must admit that I didn't read the recipe ahead of time, so the chicken only marinaded for 45 minutes. It was still wonderful. Thanks for sharing. :)
- 1 whole cut up chicken
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 2 cups self rising flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Marinate chicken in vinegar for a minimum of 1 hours -- overnight is better.
- Mix flour, spices, and baking powder.
- Heat oil to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Coat chicken in flour mixture.
- Brown on both sides; cover.
- Fry 15 minutes one side.
- Fry 15 minutes other side.
- Take off lid.
- Fry 5 minutes extra to crisp.
- Thanks for keeping the southern tradition alive.