Prep 1 hr
Cook 3 hrs
My all time favorite Italian dessert. If your ricotta is watery, please make sure to drain it well.
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 3⁄4 cup marsala
- egg white, for sealing
- oil (for frying)
- 5 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 1⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 orange rind, grated/zest
- mini chocolate chip
- SHELLS: In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, and salt.
- Add butter and marsala.
- Knead dough on lightly floured surface until well mixed.
- Wrap dough in Saran wrap and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours.
- Roll out dough very thin.
- Cut dough into rounds using a 4 inch cookie cutter.
- Roll each round again until very thin.
- Roll each round around a cannoli tube, tightly, and seal with egg white.
- Fry in hot oil, turning, until golden.
- Drain on paper towels and let cool.
- Gently twist cannoli tube to remove shell.
- Cool COMPLETELY.
- FILLING: Mix together (by hand with wooden spoon) ALL filling ingredients.
- Keep covered in the refrigerator until your shells are cooled and ready to fill.
- Fill pastry bag with filling.
- Use a plain or open star tip.
- Insert tip to center of shell and fill to one end and then repeat this step on the other end.
- Dust with confectioners' sugar.