1/6 Photos of Traditional Shortbread
Houmous Monster's Note:
This is Be-Ro recipe, my family's favorite cook book. These are a smash at Christmas and always one of the first cookies to disappear!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix the flour and sugar first, and then rub in the butter.
- 2Knead the mixture until it becomes a smooth paste.
- 3Roll out till about 3/4 inch thick or 2cm thick.
- 4Cut into rectangles and decorate the top with a fork creating rows of holes.
- 5Transfer to a greased baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes at 160°C (325°F/Gas Mark 3). They want to stay pale and light golden.
- 6In warm weather you may want to chill the cookies before baking.
- 7This recipe can also be used for petticoat tails. Just split the mixture in two and flatten into 7 inch rounds about a half inch thick (1cm). Mark top into 8 portions and decorate with a fork. Bake for 30 minutes.
- 8To use a shortbread mold: Mix a teaspoon of flour and a teaspoon of caster sugar. Grease the mold with oil and evenly sprinkle half the flour/sugar mix. Press the shortbread into the mold, and turn out onto a baking sheet before baking.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Traditional Shortbread
Serving Size: 1 (34 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 165.1
- Calories from Fat 84
- Total Fat 9.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 24.3 mg
- Sodium 81.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 1.8 g