Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is from a little cookbook I got many years ago in Scotland. The rice flour gives it a perfect crumbly texture.
- 1⁄2 cup flour, sifted
- 1⁄4 cup rice flour
- 1⁄4 cup superfine sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- Combine flours, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Work in butter until dough has the consistency of pie crust.
- Sprinkle board with rice flour.
- Turn dough onto board and knead until smooth.
- Divide into four portions and shape into small rounds.
- Place on parchment paper on a cookie sheet (or use a shortbread mold).
- Prick with a fork.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes, until cakes begin to brown slightly.
- Allow to cool in pan.
Just Wonderful!! These were so easy to make. They are flakey using the rice flour which makes them extra special. I have found the ultimate Scottish Shortbread recipe. Thank you!!
Although the recipe made good cookies, the texture was definitely not shortbread. I made several attempts, no luck.