Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
One of my signature recipes
Make and share this Traditional Scottish Sherry Trifle recipe from Food.com.
- 1 Victoria sponge cake, sliced
- 3⁄4 lb raspberry jam
- 10 fluid ounces cream sherry
- 2 tablespoons drambuie (can substitute brandy)
- 1 (3 ounce) package Bird's Eye custard or 1 (3 ounce) package Jell-o custard or 1 (3 ounce) package egg custard or 1 (3 ounce) packagevegetarian egg custard
- 3⁄4 lb raspberries
- 2 bananas, thinly sliced (optional)
- 8 fluid ounces double cream
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- toasted almond, to garnish
- fresh soft fruit slices, to garnish
- 8 fluid ounces milk
- 1⁄3 pint double cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 ounces caster sugar
- 3 drops vanilla essence
- Prepare custard according to package directions OR prepare homemade custard as follows: Whisk together the egg yolks, sugar and vanilla essence until pale and creamy.
- Heat the milk and cream together in a saucepan until boiling point then stir into the egg mixture.
- Once it is well blended, return to the pan and stir continuously over a low heat until the custard thickens.
- Pour into a dish and set aside to cool.
- Place the sponge in the base of a large glass bowl and spread with the raspberry jam.
- Mix the sherry and the Drambuie and sprinkle evenly over the sponge allowing it to soak inches.
- Next add a layer of raspberries and sliced bananas.
- When quite cool, pour the custard over the layer of fruit, spreading evenly.
- Next whip the double cream well, add sugar to sweeten and spoon on top of custard.
- Decorate with toasted almonds and/or slices of fresh soft fruit.