Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Scotland's favorite tea-time or Christmas Holiday cookie! The very best fresh dairy butter is a requirement in these cookies, for flavor. Make them into squares or "Petticoat Tails", or any shape you wish. Great for gift giving. Our family favorite recipe, adapted from "Having Tea".
- Preheat the oven to 325F degrees.
- Blend the confectioner's sugar into the butter, and then gradually add the flour, 1 cup at a time. Dough will be very thick. At this point, you may add crushed lavender flowers or rosemary, if you wish.
- Place dough on floured surface, pat down, and roll out into a square or circle 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into 2 1/2 inch squares or Petticoat Tail wedges, and carefully place on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Prick the top of each square or wedge with a fork.
- Bake at 325F degrees for 25 to 30 minutes; cookies should be pale on top, but golden brown on the bottom.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with sugar if you wish, and cool on wire racks.
- Store in an airtight container.