Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 min
Cook 20 mins
These are excellent on their own or sticking out of a bowl of vanilla ice cream. Originally a French recipe, brandy wafers have been popular in Scotland since the early 1700s. The French recipe calls for port wine instead of brandy - try them BOTH ways!
- Preheat the oven to 450F and grease a baking sheet.
- Melt the butter, syrup and sugar over a gentle heat and then stir in the flour, ginger and brandy.
- Keep stirring for about five minutes.
- Drop small teaspoonsfuls onto the baking sheet, keeping them well apart.
- Bake for five minutes or until they are a pale golden brown.
- Using the greased handle of a large wooden spoon, roll the wafers round the handle while they are still hot- take care not to burn yourself!
- Allow to cool before use.