1/1 Photo of Traditional Scotch Broth
2 hrs 30 mins
This the best soup to warm you up on a cold evening. It has a thick & hearty consistency that makes it a satisfying family meal. Doesn't cost much to make as you can use the cheapest cuts of lamb or mutton (whatever is available). I used Lamb shank in this recipe but I often use cheaper cuts and the results are just as good. Tastes even better the next day as the barley gets softer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb piece lamb
- 1 cup pearl barley (soaked overnight if possible)
- 3 large carrots
- 2 medium onions
- 1 large leek
- 1 small turnips or 1 small swede
- 1/2 bunch fresh curly-leaf parsley (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander (Cilantro)
- 1 clove
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 liters cold water or 6 pints cold water
- 1Place Lamb in a large pan and cover with water.
- 2place pan over med to high heat.
- 3While the water is heating dice the turnip, 1 of the carrots and the onions.
- 4grate the other 2 carrots and slice the leek.
- 5Add these to your pan of simmering water and skim off froth as you cook for 15mins.
- 6Rinse the barley and add to the pan together with the salt, pepper, ground coriander, clove, bay leaf and chopped parsley.
- 7Continue to simmer the soup for approximately 2hrs or until the barley is soft and the soup has become thick and almost sticky.
- 8Stir the soup as it cooks and skim off fat with a large spoon.
- 9Add more hot water from the kettle if required.
- 10Stir more often towards the end of cooking time as barley may stick to base of pan.
- 11Remove the lamb 15mins from the end and let it cool a little before removing the meat from the bones. Discard the bones.
- 12Cut the meat into small pieces and add to the soup.
- 13Taste the soup, add more salt if necessary and serve.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Traditional Scotch Broth
Serving Size: 1 (513 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 276.2
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 40.0 mg
- Sodium 477.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.7 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 15.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: