Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
I found this in a magazine at my son's dentist's office (Disney's Family Fun, I think but I'm not sure) and decided to try it. YUMMY! It's going to become a Halloween tradition in our house! It's SUPER easy and tastes sinfully delicious. It looks like a lot of steps but I broke them down to simplify them for other chefs. I hope you enjoy!
- 1 loaf day old crusty Italian bread
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
- 3 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup solid-pack pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- whipped cream (to serve) (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Coat an 8" square glass baking dish with butter.
- Slice the bread and remove the crust. Cut into 1" cubes. Place the cubes into the baking dish and sprinkle raisins (optional) over the top.
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl.
- Add pumpkin, milk, brown sugar, whipping cream, vanilla and pumpkin pie spice to the eggs. Whisk until well blended.
- Pour pumpkin mixture over bread. Let stand 15-20 minutes, occasionally pushing down the bread cubes as they soak with a spoon.
- Sprinkle the remaining brown sugar over pudding.
- Place 8" square baking dish into a larger glass baking dish or roasting pan.
- Place pans on middle oven rack and pour hot water in bigger pan until it reaches halfway up the outside of the square dish with pudding in it.
- Bake until puffed and golden brown on top and toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean; about 45-50 minutes.
- Remove from water bath and set on wire rack to cool for 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve with whipped cream, if desired.