Recipe by Abby Girl
I was wanting to use my crock pot to make a traditional mulled wine for Christmas. I sourced a number of recipes and came up with this
Top Review by SSellars
I made this for my holiday party this year and there was nothing left at the end of the night. I have a Swedish girlfriend who advised us to put almonds and raisins in it and it made her nostalgic for her home, where Grogg is a tradition at the holidays. I only used 1/2 cup of sugar as I didn't want this to be too sweet. It turned out warm, homey and delicious and made the house smell incredibly festive. Thanks for a wonderful recipe!
- 1 1⁄2 liters red wine, medium to full bodied
- 2 lemons, cut up
- 2 oranges, cut up
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, to taste (freshly grated)
- 6 -8 cloves, to taste
- 1 ounce brandy (or to taste)
- 1 cup white sugar (optional)
- 3 cups herbal tea, depending on taste (or citrus influenced tea, (or more)
- 4 large cinnamon sticks
Directions See How It's Made
- Make the tea. Let it steep and cool slightly. Add to crock pot. (I added about 4 cups).
- Cut the lemons and oranges into slices. Add the red wine. Add the brandy (cognac could be substituted).
- Add sugar to taste.
- Add cinnamon sticks and cloves.
- Heat in the crock pot for approximately 3 hours, or until warmed. (I was turning the pot on/off when the wine got too hot/cold during the evening).
- Note: Never let the wine mixture boil, or it will spoil. I used home made wine that our friend had given us. I used Ginger Tea, but any herbal tea could be used ~ or ~ for a different taste, use orange or pineapple juice.