Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1008 hrs
Cook 2 hrs
I have 5 mincemeat recipes that I've used for making pies over the years, (4 of them are meatless). However my dad always preferred the "traditional" mincemeat pies and so do I. (I would be happy to post the "meatless" recipes on request). This is the Traditional (with meat) Mincemeat recipe that I made for many years. The only change I ever made in the original recipe was to substitute stew beef for the calves' tongues. Prep time includes the 4-6 weeks "standing" time.
- 4 boiled beef tongues or 4 -6 lbs stewing beef
- 4 lbs sugar
- 2 lbs raisins
- 2 lbs currants
- 1⁄2 lb candied citron peel, finely cut
- 6 lbs tart apples (Granny Smiths)
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground cloves
- 2 whole nutmegs, grated
- 2 1⁄2 lbs suet, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 lb candied orange peel, finely cut
- 1⁄2 lb candied lemon peel, finely cut
- 1⁄2 lb almonds, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 oranges, grated peel and juice of
- 4 lemons, grated peel and juice of
- 1 quart brandy
- 2 quarts whiskey
- Chop the boiled calves' tongues (or boiled stew beef) very finely.
- Add the sugar, raisins, currents and citron; mix together well.
- Chop apples finely (do not mash) and add to the meat.
- Add all the spices, suet, candied peels, almonds and salt, and mix thoroughly.
- Pour over this mixture the fruit juices and grated peels, the brandy and the whiskey; and mix together.
- Put the mixture into a large crock with a lid.
- Place a clean cloth over the top of the crock and put the lid on.
- Place crock in a cool place for 3 weeks.
- Add more salt and spices at this time, if needed.
- Let stand at least 4 weeks before using.
- Mincemeat may be canned by water bath method.
- If using it for pie filling, bake between double crusts.