I have 5 mincemeat recipes that I've used for making pies over the years, (4 of them are meatless). However my dad always preferred the "traditional" mincemeat pies and so do I. (I would be happy to post the "meatless" recipes on request). This is the Traditional (with meat) Mincemeat recipe that I made for many years. The only change I ever made in the original recipe was to substitute stew beef for the calves' tongues. Prep time includes the 4-6 weeks "standing" time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 boiled beef tongues or 4 -6 lbs stewing beef
- 4 lbs sugar
- 2 lbs raisins
- 2 lbs currants
- 1/2 lb candied citron peel, finely cut
- 6 lbs tart apples (Granny Smiths)
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground cloves
- 2 whole nutmegs, grated
- 2 1/2 lbs suet, finely chopped
- 1/2 lb candied orange peel, finely cut
- 1/2 lb candied lemon peel, finely cut
- 1/2 lb almonds, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 oranges, grated peel and juice of
- 4 lemons, grated peel and juice of
- 1 quart brandy
- 2 quarts whiskey
- 1Chop the boiled calves' tongues (or boiled stew beef) very finely.
- 2Add the sugar, raisins, currents and citron; mix together well.
- 3Chop apples finely (do not mash) and add to the meat.
- 4Add all the spices, suet, candied peels, almonds and salt, and mix thoroughly.
- 5Pour over this mixture the fruit juices and grated peels, the brandy and the whiskey; and mix together.
- 6Put the mixture into a large crock with a lid.
- 7Place a clean cloth over the top of the crock and put the lid on.
- 8Place crock in a cool place for 3 weeks.
- 9Add more salt and spices at this time, if needed.
- 10Let stand at least 4 weeks before using.
- 11Mincemeat may be canned by water bath method.
- 12If using it for pie filling, bake between double crusts.
You Might Also Like...View All Beef Organ Meats Recipes
Nutritional Facts for " Traditional" Mincemeat (For Pies)
Serving Size: 1 (11914 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2307.3
- Calories from Fat 725
- Total Fat 80.6 g
- Saturated Fat 40.6 g
- Cholesterol 51.5 mg
- Sodium 582.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 288.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.0 g
- Sugars 257.3 g
- Protein 10.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: