Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is the one my mother used to make. To my surprise, I have to make this plain dish for all my kid's friends! My mother used to use long macaroni which she snapped into short pieces. I can't get it anymore and so I use pasta quills. I prefer the slightly longer pieces of pasta.
- 500 g macaroni
- 50 g butter
- 40 g flour
- 425 ml milk
- 225 g grated cheddar cheese
- 10 ml dry mustard
- salt and pepper
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- Cook the macaroni in boiling water as per instructions on packet.
- Melt the butter, stir in the flour and form a smooth paste. Add the milk slowly, stirring all the while.Bring the sauce to the boil and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in 175g of the grated cheese, the mustard, salt and pepper and cook until the cheese has melted and the sauce is thick and smooth.
- Drain the macaroni, transfer it to a greased ovenproof dish.
- Pour the sauce over the macaroni and stir to mix.
- Arrange the tomato slices on top, sprinkle with the remaining grated cheese and bake at 180C/350°F
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes, or until the top is brown and bubbling.