Recipe by Margemommy
This is a delicious recipe I got with some carnation coupons. It is super easy. It was gone in a flash. I made a double batch the second time. MMM MMM GOOD!! It takes less time if you have your macaronit cooked and ready ahead of time.
Top Review by Chef shapeweaver �
I was looking for a mac and cheese recipe that used evaporated milk, since I had some opened.The recipe was made as written except for the cheese. I had to use part of sharp chedder and part of a casserole blend.Since we like a really crusty top, the mac and cheese was baked just a little bit over the 25 minutes.To us it had the perfect amount of creaminess, and just the right amount of seasonings.This will be made again.Thanks for posting, and "Keep Smiling :)"
- 1 2⁄3 cups small dry elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Grease a 2 qt casserole dish.
- Combine constarch, salt, mustard and pepper in medium sauce pan.
- Stir in evaporated milk, water and butter.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil.
- Boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups cheese until melted.
- Add macaroni and mix well.
- Pour into prepared casserole dish.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until cheese is melted and light brown.