Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
I have been making this pie for many years. Every time that I serve it, people say "this is what a key lime pie is supposed to taste like". And they are right. I have tried those pie recipes using cream cheese or cool whip, but they are not authentic key lime pies. If you want the "real deal", this is it.
- Beat egg yolks.
- Stir in sweetened condensed milk, key lime juice and rind.
- In a small bowl, stiffly beat 1 egg white.
- Fold into pie mixture.
- Turn into baked pie shell.
- Beat the three reserved egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy.
- Gradually add sugar, beating until stiff but not dry.
- Spread meringue on top of pie, sealing carefully to the edge of the pie shell.
- Bake 15 minutes at 350° or until meringue is golden brown.
- Cool in refrigerator at least 6 hours.
Fabulous! Really hit the spot! The meringue IS perfect.
Excellent, thank you! I made this without the meringue and it was excellent.
This is like the pie I used to make years and years ago! I lost the recipe and have been trying those other versions which are good, but THIS is the one. I've made a couple in the last few days and will be making a third for Thanksgiving - picked up another bag of key limes today just for this! Once you have this pie, the others are missing "something". Lovely intensity if you enjoy the Key Lime. I also now use eggs from my very free chickens which are so rich, the custard is even better. Every bite's a treat. Thank you so much, Big Cheese!