Recipe by The Big Cheese
I have been making this pie for many years. Every time that I serve it, people say "this is what a key lime pie is supposed to taste like". And they are right. I have tried those pie recipes using cream cheese or cool whip, but they are not authentic key lime pies. If you want the "real deal", this is it.
- 4 eggs, separated with one egg white separate by itself
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup key lime juice
- 3 teaspoons grated lime rind
- 1 8 inch pie shell or 1 9-inch pie shell, baked and cooled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat egg yolks.
- Stir in sweetened condensed milk, key lime juice and rind.
- In a small bowl, stiffly beat 1 egg white.
- Fold into pie mixture.
- Turn into baked pie shell.
- Beat the three reserved egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy.
- Gradually add sugar, beating until stiff but not dry.
- Spread meringue on top of pie, sealing carefully to the edge of the pie shell.
- Bake 15 minutes at 350° or until meringue is golden brown.
- Cool in refrigerator at least 6 hours.