Recipe by Um Safia
Published for ZWT III. Recipe from World Recipes - this is a lovely recipe for the traditional Swedish dish ''Janssons Temptation''. Simple to make - comfort food.
Top Review by Annie Dangerous
Comfort food is right! This deceptively simple recipe makes such a great dish! Don't use the anchovies you would find in a regular store but Swedish Anchovies, which are MUCH milder in taste. They sell them at IKEA.they add salt to the mix but not the fishy taste.
- 8 -10 potatoes
- 2 onions
- 20 anchovy fillets
- 1 1⁄4 cups whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon dried breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the potatoes and onions. Coarsely shed the potatoes. Slice or chop the onion and sauté in a little butter or margarine 5 minutes.
- Alternate layers of potatoes, onion, and anchovies in a lightly greased baking dish, the top and bottom layers consisting of potatoes.
- Pour half the cream and 2-3 tablespoons anchovy juice over the casserole. Dot with butter and sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake in oven at 345°F for 45 minutes.
- Baste the outer edges of the casserole with the remaining cream towards the end of the 45 minutes.