Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a Calabrese sauce and it is so simple to make a delicious tomato sauce, far superior to any store bought sauce. By adding garlic, or meat to this sauce it takes on such dimension so it's very versatile. The secret is the time it takes to cook. whether you use canned tomato puree or diced tomatoes. DO NOT OVERCOOK IT!! Once the sauce is brought up to temperature (boiling point,) reduce heat to medium low and cover. Cook for approximately 15-30 minutes. Of course, if there is meat in the sauce you will have to cook longer. But the longer you cook a sauce, it looses it's fresh taste and just goes blah unless you really spice it up and give it new kick. Just think! You can cook fresh homemade sauce with your choice of pasta in about, 20 minutes!
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 2 pinches black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- Sauté onions in olive oil, reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 15 minutes or until onions are soft.
- Add the tomatoes, spices and herbs.
- Bring up to boiling and then cover, reduce heat to medium low and cook for 20-30 minutes, checking on it a few times and adjust the seasoning.
This recipe is a bit bland for my taste using canned tomatoes and dried herbs. Fresh basil would have been more interesting and anything less than homegrown tomatoes is not really worthwhile.