18 hrs 45 mins
From Bon Appetit, April 2002. Very time intensive but worth it. Prepare over two days so that the 8-10 hour rising can be done overnight. I use two buttered and floured nine-inch-diameter springform pans instead of the three dove-shaped paper molds. I substitute freshly grated orange zest and golden raisins for the candied orange peel.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons cool water
- 1 teaspoon cool water
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 7 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature (very soft)
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons lukewarm whole milk
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cool water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature (very soft)
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons lukewarm whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups chopped candied orange peel (about 10 ounces)
- 1/2 cup about all-purpose flour
- 1Day 1:.
- 3Combine water and sugar in bowl of heavy-duty mixer. Stir in yeast. Let stand until yeast dissolves, about 10 minutes. Using rubber spatula, mix in flour (dough will be firm). Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let starter rise until puffy, about 45 minutes. (Initially the starter is firm and compact, but it softens and becomes puffy and spongy after rising.)
- 4For step 2:.
- 5Attach dough hook to mixer. Add all ingredients in step 2 to starter. Beat until blended, scraping down sides of bowl often, about 5 minutes (dough will be soft and thick). Scrape dough off hook; remove hook. Cover bowl with plastic. Let dough rise at room temperature until puffy and bubbly on top, about 1 hour. The dough will look thick, shiny, and slightly puffed.
- 6For step 3:.
- 7Reattach clean dough hook. Add first 5 ingredients in step 3 to dough; beat until blended. Add flour. Beat at low speed until smooth, scraping down bowl and hook often, about 5 minutes (dough will be firm and compact). Scrape dough off hook; remove hook. Cover bowl with plastic; let dough rise at room temperature until lighter in texture and slightly puffed, about 3 1/2 hours. The dough will double in volume and become lighter in texture but less glossy.
- 8For step 4:.
- 9Reattach clean dough hook. Mix water and yeast in small cup. Let stand until yeast dissolves, about 10 minutes; add to dough. Add 1 1/3 cups flour, half of butter, sugar, and 2 yolks; beat until dough is smooth, about 3 minutes. Scrape down dough hook and sides of bowl. Add remaining 2 yolks, milk, vanilla extract, and salt. Beat at low speed until blended, about 3 minutes. Scrape down hook. Add remaining 2/3 cup flour, remaining butter, and orange peel. Beat dough until well blended, about 5 minutes. Scrape dough into very large (at least 4-quart) buttered bowl. Cover with plastic. Let dough rise at room temperature until doubled and indentation remains when 2 fingers are pressed about 1/4 inch into dough, 8 to 10 hours.
- 10Day 2:.
- 11For step 5:.
- 12Sprinkle 1/2 cup flour onto work surface. Scrape dough out onto floured work surface (dough will be soft and sticky). Gently toss dough in flour until easy to handle. Brush away excess flour. Divide dough into 3 equal pieces. Divide 1 piece in half; shape each half into 10-inch-long log.
- 13Arrange 1 log crosswise in each dove-shaped paper baking mold, curving ends to fit. Roll each remaining dough piece into 11-inch-long log, slightly tapered at ends. Place 1 log across dough in each mold. (If using 2 springform pans, divide dough in half; place half in each prepared pan). Cover molds (or pans) with plastic. Let stand at room temperature until dough rises to top of each mold and indentation remains when 2 fingers are pressed about 1/4 inch into dough, about 3 1/4 hours.
- 14Glaze and Baking:.
- 15Position rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 375°F Finely grind sugar and whole almonds in processor. Add egg whites and almond extract; blend 10 seconds. Peel plastic off dough in molds. Spoon half of almond glaze over top of each. Sprinkle each with sliced almonds. Sift powdered sugar over. Slide rimless baking sheet under molds; slide molds directly onto oven rack.
- 16Bake breads until brown on top and slender wooden skewer inserted into center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool breads completely on rack. (Can be made ahead. Wrap; let stand at room temperature up to 2 days or freeze up to 1 week.).
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Traditional Italian Easter Bread
Serving Size: 1 (136 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 508.6
- Calories from Fat 228
- Total Fat 25.4 g
- Saturated Fat 11.6 g
- Cholesterol 173.5 mg
- Sodium 239.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 23.9 g
- Protein 10.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
candied orange peel