- 3 lbs boneless lamb shoulder, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 lbs boiling potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb carrot, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 stalks celery, trimmed and ribs cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 7 to 8-quart kettle simmer lamb, parsley, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste in 4 cups broth, covered, 1 1/2 hours.
- To lamb mixture add potatoes, onion, carrots, celery, and remaining 2 cups broth and simmer, covered, 1 hour.
- In a small bowl whisk together flour and oil until smooth and stir into simmering stew until well incorporated.
- Simmer stew, uncovered, until thickened, 3 to 5 minutes, and season with salt and pepper.