Recipe by Chef mariajane
Traditional corned beef and cabbbage is the ultimate in comfort food and a boon for budget conscious families. Slowly simmered with spices, then served wih mustard and cabbage, this traditional Irish dish is perfect for those who want a tasty, comforting no-hassle meal.
Top Review by manushag
Excellent and simple recipe. The pickling spice has all the flavor needed for this recipe, including cloves! I only add a few potatoes the last hour of cooking. Thanks for posting!
- 3 lbs corned beef brisket
- water, to cover meat
- 2 tablespoons pickling spices
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons peppercorns
- 1 head cabbage
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large stockpot, place corned beef with all the seasonings. Cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 2 hours. If not tender after 2 hours, keep checking at 15 minute intervals.
- Remove corned beef, save broth for cabbage. Cut cabbage into wedges, place in a large pan, cover with broth from the beef and simmer until tender.
- Keep cabbage warm in broth until needed.
- Served corned beef with mustard and cabbage.