Recipe by littleturtle
traditional brown soda bread
Top Review by Maine Sailor Chef
This is nice for sure but I think it lacks a little "umph". I think I'd add steel cut oats, here I addes just a bit of regular oats and used organic flours. Yea, needs steel cut oats and a bit more buttermilk or soak the oats maybe.. Looks pretty ;-)
- 4 cups coarse ground whole wheat flour
- 4 cups white flour
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 3 -4 cups low-fat cultured buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 475F.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the center and add some buttermilk.
- Work the mixture with your hand until the dough is soft and not too sticky.
- On a floured surface, knead into a circular shape about three inches thick.
- Bake for 20 minutes and then turn oven down to 400F; bake for another 20 minutes.
- Bread should sound hollow when you tap on it when fully cooked.