1 hr 15 mins
Here is a good basic stuffing &/or dressing recipe. It has mushrooms and nuts and all the other good things that one thinks of when you visualize a turkey roasting away.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted or
- 3/4 cup unsalted margarine, melted*
- 3/4 lb chopped button mushroom
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or 1/2 cup almonds or 1/2 cup pecans
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1/2 teaspoon savory
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 9 cups stale bread, broken into 1-inch pieces (use any kind of bread, whole wheat would be fine, as well)
- 5 cups chicken stock (Vegetarian & Kosher cooking**) or 5 cups low sodium chicken broth (Vegetarian & Kosher cooking**) or 5 cups vegetable broth (Vegetarian & Kosher cooking**)
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Butter a pretty casserole dish 15"x10" baking dish or a souffle dish would be perfect.
- 3Melt butter in large skillet and add mushrooms, onions, & celery.
- 4Saute for 3-5 minutes until translucent.
- 5Add garlic and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- 6Now add salt, thyme, rosemary, sage, black pepper, savory, parsley & poultry seasoning & mix well.
- 7Add nuts and mix well again.
- 8Beat the eggs.
- 9Place bread into a large bowl along with vegetable mixture, beaten eggs and 1 cup warm chicken broth or vegetable broth.
- 10Continue mixing and pouring in broth until stuffing looks moist, use at least 4 cups of stock or broth. It should not be too dry - remember you are going to bake it.
- 11Transfer stuffing to prepared dish.
- 12Cover with buttered foil and bake until heated through, about 45 minutes.
- 13Uncover and bake until top is golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- 14Variations:*To keep Kosher use the margarine and **For Kosher or Vegetarian - use the vegetable broth.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Traditional Herb Stuffing or Dressing
Serving Size: 1 (273 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 445.6
- Calories from Fat 314
- Total Fat 34.9 g
- Saturated Fat 12.6 g
- Cholesterol 82.5 mg
- Sodium 880.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 9.3 g