Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Here is a good basic stuffing &/or dressing recipe. It has mushrooms and nuts and all the other good things that one thinks of when you visualize a turkey roasting away.
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted or
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted margarine, melted*
- 3⁄4 lb chopped button mushroom
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts or 1⁄2 cup almonds or 1⁄2 cup pecans
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon savory
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 9 cups stale bread, broken into 1-inch pieces (use any kind of bread, whole wheat would be fine, as well)
- 5 cups chicken stock (Vegetarian & Kosher cooking**) or 5 cups low sodium chicken broth (Vegetarian & Kosher cooking**) or 5 cups vegetable broth (Vegetarian & Kosher cooking**)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter a pretty casserole dish 15"x10" baking dish or a souffle dish would be perfect.
- Melt butter in large skillet and add mushrooms, onions, & celery.
- Saute for 3-5 minutes until translucent.
- Add garlic and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Now add salt, thyme, rosemary, sage, black pepper, savory, parsley & poultry seasoning & mix well.
- Add nuts and mix well again.
- Beat the eggs.
- Place bread into a large bowl along with vegetable mixture, beaten eggs and 1 cup warm chicken broth or vegetable broth.
- Continue mixing and pouring in broth until stuffing looks moist, use at least 4 cups of stock or broth. It should not be too dry - remember you are going to bake it.
- Transfer stuffing to prepared dish.
- Cover with buttered foil and bake until heated through, about 45 minutes.
- Uncover and bake until top is golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Variations:*To keep Kosher use the margarine and **For Kosher or Vegetarian - use the vegetable broth.
The flavors of this stuffing were sensational. I made this as a casserole on the side. I added too much chicken stock, so I had to add more bread to soak it up. I will make this a a side dish during the year!
Best stuffing I've ever made. I ommitted the mushrooms.