Recipe by lets.eat
From Bittman Takes on America's Chefs I've been planning to make this forever(well a couple of months now), getting tired of the cookbook sitting on the coffee table so am posting this to clear up some of my clutter.
- 1 lb tomatoes, roughly chopped (undrained) or 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and diced
- 2 -3 slices bread (a day or two old)
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar or 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, chopped (to taste)
- salt and black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the tomatoes, cucumber, bread, oil, vinegar, and garlic with 1 cup water in a blender; process until smooth. If the gazpacho seems too thick, thin with additional water.
- Taste and add salt and black pepper as necessary. Serve immediately (or refrigerate and serve within a couple of hours. Drizzle with additional olive oil.