1/10 Photos of Traditional Fruity and Spiced Hot Cross Buns: Bread-Maker
1 hr 40 mins
French Tart's Note:
A wonderful old family recipe for HUGE and very light spiced Hot Cross Buns! I discovered that most of the hard work is taken out of making these, by proving & kneading them in the Bread Maker/Machine......unless you NEED to expel any frustrations, and then you MUST knead these yourself! You can make the crosses by either marking them before baking or, as I have done, by putting thinly rolled pastry crosses on top. An absolute "must" for the Spring and Easter Tea table! I also make these throughout the rest of the year - minus the crosses - for fruity, spiced English style teacakes!
My Private Note
Hot Cro ...
Units: US | Metric
Hot Cross Buns
- 210 ml milk
- 1 egg
- 450 g strong white bread flour
- 9.85 ml ground mixed spice
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 2.46 ml salt
- 50 g fine light brown sugar
- 50 g melted butter
- 7 g easy-blend dried yeast
- 125 g mixed dried fruit, such as currants, sultanas, raisins and peel
- 75 g ready-made pastry dough
- 1Put all of the Hot Cross Bun ingredients into your break maker in the order listed, excepting the dried fruit.
- 2Put the fruit into the "extras" tray on your bread maker, or leave to one side to add towards the end of the kneading cycle.
- 3Set the bread maker to Dough setting - or Raisin Dough setting if you have it.
- 4Press start and if you do not have an "extras" tray, add your dried fruit when your machine alerts you or 5 minutes before the end of the kneading time.
- 5Lightly grease two baking trays/sheets.
- 6When the dough cycle has finished, take the dough out and place it on a lightly floured board. Knock back and shape into 12 pieces, rolling them into balls.
- 7Place them on the greased baking trays/sheets and cover with a clean tea towel or lightly oiled cling film.
- 8Allow them to rise for about 30-45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- 9Meanwhile pre-heat the oven the 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- 10Make the pastry crosses by rolling out the ready-made pastry very thinly and cutting into strips.
- 11Make the glaze by heating up the milk and adding the sugar - heat them until the sugar has dissolved. Set to one side.
- 12When the Hot Cross Buns are ready to bake, place two strips of pastry on each top - pressing lightly and bake for 10 - 15 minutes or until well-risen and golden brown. The buns should sound hollow when tapped underneath.
- 13Brush the glaze on each bun as soon as they have been taken out of the oven and then allow to cool slightly on a wire rack.
- 14Eat whilst still warm, split & spread with butter!
- 15These are GREAT toasted when they are a few days old as well!
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Traditional Fruity and Spiced Hot Cross Buns: Bread-Maker
Serving Size: 1 (106 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 619.2
- Calories from Fat 149
- Total Fat 16.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 54.2 mg
- Sodium 378.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 115.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.8 g
- Sugars 12.6 g
- Protein 13.9 g