Prep1 hr 40 mins
A wonderful old family recipe for HUGE and very light spiced Hot Cross Buns! I discovered that most of the hard work is taken out of making these, by proving & kneading them in the Bread Maker/Machine......unless you NEED to expel any frustrations, and then you MUST knead these yourself! You can make the crosses by either marking them before baking or, as I have done, by putting thinly rolled pastry crosses on top. An absolute "must" for the Spring and Easter Tea table! I also make these throughout the rest of the year - minus the crosses - for fruity, spiced English style teacakes!
Hot Cross Buns
- 210 ml milk
- 1 egg
- 450 g strong white bread flour
- 2 teaspoons ground mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 50 g fine light brown sugar
- 50 g melted butter
- 7 g easy-blend dried yeast
- 125 g mixed dried fruit, such as currants, sultanas, raisins and peel
- 75 g ready-made pastry dough
- 30 ml milk
- 25 g caster sugar
- Put all of the Hot Cross Bun ingredients into your break maker in the order listed, excepting the dried fruit.
- Put the fruit into the "extras" tray on your bread maker, or leave to one side to add towards the end of the kneading cycle.
- Set the bread maker to Dough setting - or Raisin Dough setting if you have it.
- Press start and if you do not have an "extras" tray, add your dried fruit when your machine alerts you or 5 minutes before the end of the kneading time.
- Lightly grease two baking trays/sheets.
- When the dough cycle has finished, take the dough out and place it on a lightly floured board. Knock back and shape into 12 pieces, rolling them into balls.
- Place them on the greased baking trays/sheets and cover with a clean tea towel or lightly oiled cling film.
- Allow them to rise for about 30-45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile pre-heat the oven the 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- Make the pastry crosses by rolling out the ready-made pastry very thinly and cutting into strips.
- Make the glaze by heating up the milk and adding the sugar - heat them until the sugar has dissolved. Set to one side.
- When the Hot Cross Buns are ready to bake, place two strips of pastry on each top - pressing lightly and bake for 10 - 15 minutes or until well-risen and golden brown. The buns should sound hollow when tapped underneath.
- Brush the glaze on each bun as soon as they have been taken out of the oven and then allow to cool slightly on a wire rack.
- Eat whilst still warm, split & spread with butter!
- These are GREAT toasted when they are a few days old as well!