Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Fried Green Tomatoes are my all-time favorite thing to eat in the Summer. This was the way my Grandmother and my Mother made them.
- 4 large green tomatoes, thickly sliced
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optioanl)
- oil (for frying)
- Soak tomatoes in a mixture of about 2 quarts water and 2 tablespoons salt for about 1/2 hour.
- In a large plastic food bag, mix flour, salt, pepper and cayenne. Drain tomatoes and drop a few slices at a time into the bag and shake to coat completely.
- Heat oil in a large skillet and fry coated tomato slices until browned on each side, about 2 minute per side.
- Season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
I make these for my hubby and kids and potlucks. Everyone loves them and asks how I made them because they haven't had them with a little kick before. One batch I added a tsp of garlic and I even ate some. (I don't like green fried tomatoes) My hubby and kids do a lot.
I love fried green tomatoes and this recipe didn't disappoint. Very flavorful, perfectly seasoned. Thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for ZWTIII