Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Great for a cold winter's night. Suitable to refrigerate and microwave.
- 3 cups onions, thinly sliced into rings
- 2 tablespoons plain flour, sifted
- 8 cups water
- 6 tablespoons pareve beef stock powder
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- salt and pepper (optional)
- 1 French baguette
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 6 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Melt margarine in fry pan, coating fry pan with fat.
- Add onions and cover pan with lid.
- Cook for 15 minutes, stirring onions occassionally.Do not brown onions!
- Add flour to onions and mix well.
- Put remaining ingredients into a pot and add onion mixture.
- Bring water, wine and beef stock and onion mixture to boil.
- Add salt and pepper if desired.
- Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut french stick into 1 1/2cm slices and toast under a grill only on one side.
- Turn bread over, untoasted side up, and sprinkle desired amount of cheeses on top and grill until melted through and golden brown.
- Pour soup into bowls, 1-2 ladles per person.
- On top of soup, place a cheese toasty with the cheese side up, so that the toasty will float.