In France, green garlic butter is traditionally served with snails-escargots. This version with Pastis is also particularly delicious and fragrant drizzled over scallops or mussels (see my Moules Farcies Gratinees - French Mussels Moules Farcies Gratinees - French Mussels W/Green Garlic Butter #299761). Serve with plenty of fresh lemon wedges, slices of French bread for mopping the fragrant juices, and a crisp, chilled white wine such as Muscadet or Sancerre. Bon appetit! Williams-Sonoma.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 6 ounces fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley (1 bunch)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature (4 oz.)
- 2 -3 tablespoons green onions, sliced (about 2 spring onions, white and light green parts only)
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons pastis (anise-flavored liqueur)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 1 -2 tablespoon heavy cream (double cream)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- lemon wedge, for serving
- 1In a food processor, process the garlic until pureed, then add the parsley and process until finely minced mixture forms.
- 2Cut the butter into 3 or 4 pieces and add to the parsley mixture along with the green onions, tarragon, and pastis. Process until combined.
- 3Add the olive oil, lemon juice, and enough cream to create a soft, fluffy mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 4Spoon an equal amount of the green garlic butter on to each precooked and open mussel (see mussels Moules Farcies Gratinees - French Mussels W/Green Garlic Butter), sprinkle breadcrumbs generously on top. Bake at 400 degrees F for 8-10 minutes, until butter is melted and fragrant, and the crumbs are crisp. Makes enough for 3 lbs. mussels. (Alternatively, you can transfer butter mixture to a small saucepan and heat through on medium to medium-high heat for 5-8 minutes, stirring frequently and being careful not to burn, until butter is melted and fragrant. Drizzle over seafood of your choice).
- 5Serve with fresh lemon wedges, slices of French bread for mopping the juices, and a crisp, chilled white wine such as Muscadet, Sancerre or Sauvignon Blanc! Bon appetit!
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Traditional French Green Garlic Butter With Pastis
Serving Size: 1 (82 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 347.8
- Calories from Fat 210
- Total Fat 23.4 g
- Saturated Fat 11.3 g
- Cholesterol 44.1 mg
- Sodium 264.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.6 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 10.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: