This recipe was found on Good Food website and said to bethe recipe used by Jamie Oliver's parents
My Private Note
large c ...
Units: US | Metric
- 400 ml beef stock (can use 1 stock cube dissolved in 400mls hot water)
- 50 g butter
- 2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 2 celery, trimmed and finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 kg minced beef (ground beef)
- 29.58 ml tomato puree
- 29.58 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 0.26 ml Tabasco sauce
- 175 ml red wine
For the mash topping
- 1Melt the butter in a pan on a medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery, garlic, thyme and bay leaf and fry over a medium/low heat for 10 minutes, or until softened but not coloured.
- 2Add the beef mince and cook for a further 10 minutes, or until brown.
- 3Add the tomato purée, worcestershire sauce and Tabasco, then stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- 4Turn the heat up to high and add the red wine. Let it bubble away and reduce for 5 minutes then add the stock and reduce to a medium heat. Simmer for a further 20 minutes, stirring often.
- 5Meanwhile, cut the potatoes into halves and quarters so they’re all a fairly even size. Cook in a pan of boiling, salted water for 15 to 20 minutes, or until cooked through. Drain in a colander and leave to steam dry.
- 6Preheat the oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5.
- 7Taste the mince and season accordingly with salt and pepper. Transfer it to an ovenproof dish (approximately 20cm by 30cm).
- 8Mash the potatoes with the butter, milk and a pinch of salt and pepper then spread over the top of the mince.
- 9Finely grate over a little parmesan cheese then cook for 45 minutes, or until golden and bubbling.
- 10Serve with buttered peas or a simple side salad.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Traditional English Cottage Pie
Serving Size: 1 (400 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 536.0
- Calories from Fat 285
- Total Fat 31.6 g
- Saturated Fat 15.4 g
- Cholesterol 118.3 mg
- Sodium 746.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 26.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: