Recipe by Gumboot Gourmet
This cool rich creamy sauce is the perfect accompaniment for my warm Christmas Carrot Pudding. This is a very old English sauce. It will last refrigerated for a couple of days. It is also very, very good on warm mince tarts.
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 dash salt
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream (unwhipped)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat eggs & sugar till thick & lemon coloured in the top of a double boiler. (I use a small stainless bowl sitting on top of a small saucepan).
- Stir in flour, salt & 2 Tbsp of unwhipped cream.
- Cook over simmering water, add butter stirring constantly about 10 minutes or until butter melts & sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat, add brandy, cover & chill.
- Up to this point it can be made ahead & left in the fridge for a couple of days.
- Whip remaining 1/2 cup of whipping cream.
- Fold into chilled egg mixture.