Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Adapted from A Family Feast
Make and share this Traditional Egg Salad recipe from Food.com.
- Fill a medium pot with three to four quarts of water and bring to a boil.
- Gently place each egg one at a time into the pot with a long-handled slotted spoon, resting them on the bottom of the boiling water.
- Bring back to a full boil and cook for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and let eggs sit in the hot water for 13 minutes.
- Drain all the water and then shake the pot with the eggs still inside to break the shells. Under running warm water, peel off shells and set cooked eggs on a paper towel to dry.
- Roughly chop eggs into a medium bowl and add mayonnaise, salt and pepper. Stir and taste. Add more salt or pepper if needed.
- Cover bowl and place in the refrigerator until egg salad is below 40 degrees.
- Serve with crisp lettuce and your favorite bread.
I had never used vinegar when making my hard boiled eggs, I have always added salt. The vinegar worked OK. I cooked 18 eggs and three of them I couldn't get the shells off of them. The others were fine. I used some of the eggs for red beets and the rest to make your egg salad. This is exactly how we like our egg salad, basic. I did add a good bit of pepper and salt. We all enjoyed this.