Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a traditinal recipe, that apparently the women in former times could not do without on new years day. My father told me, that after the war, the 3 waffle makers in the village were handed around, so that every women could offer these cakes with a nice cup of east frisian tea (prepared with cream and demerara sugar) to their new years wellwishers. They taste a little like ice cream cones and should be prepared ahead so the spices can work their magic.Store in an airtight container. They make a nice xmas give away. You need a flat waffle iron.
- 250 g flour
- 175 g fat or 175 g butter or 175 g margarine
- 150 g demerara sugar or 150 g brown sugar
- 1 egg
- cardamom (whole or ground) or cinnamon (whole or ground) or anise seed, to taste (whole or ground)
- 3⁄8 liter water
- Dissolve the sugar in the water and mix with all remaining ingredients.
- Leave to stand, preferably overnight.
- Heat a flat waffle iron (not those you would use for making Belgian waffles), spread a spoonful of the mixture evenly on the bottom part and cover.
- Lift the top several times until desired colouring.
- Roll immediately into cones, since they will harden as they cool.
- Proceed in the same manner with the rest of the dough.
- Carefully place the cold cones in an airtight container until use.