1/13 Photos of Traditional Devon Cream Tea Strawberry Jam - Strawberry Conserve
48 hrs 10 mins
French Tart's Note:
A fabulous recipe for a soft set strawberry jam, or rather a strawberry conserve, where most of the fruit remains whole and is suspended in a delicious strawberry flavoured jammy syrup! This conserve reminds me of the traditional Cream Teas you get in the West country of England - especially Devon and Cornwall; a pot of tea served with fluffy fresh scones, butter, thick cream and this strawberry conserve. (Preparation time includes the 2 days allowed for the fruit to stand in the sugar.) This type of jam recipe is also very French, they tend to have a softer set jam here in France - it is lovely to see WHOLE pieces of fruit on your toast or scones! I also use this for steamed puddings - absolutely divine!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place alternate layers of cleaned and hulled strawberries with the sugar into a non metallic bowl; add the lemon juice, but only if you are NOT using the preserving sugar, cover and leave to stand overnight.
- 2Next day, transfer the fruit and sugar to a pan, bring slowly to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Pour back into the bowl, cover and leave again for another day.
- 3Finally, transfer to a preserving pan, bring to the boil and simmer until setting point is reached - this takes about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and leave to cool a little until the conserve JUST starts to set, this takes about 15 minutes. Stir once more to distribute the fruit evenly and pour into prepared hot sterilised jars and cover immediately.
- 4Makes about 3 lb of conserve.
- 5Only add the lemon juice if you are using normal granulated sugar and NOT preserving sugar, which contains pectin already.
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Traditional Devon Cream Tea Strawberry Jam - Strawberry Conserve
Serving Size: 1 (1865 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1271.2
- Calories from Fat 8
- Total Fat 0.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 326.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 316.6 g
- Protein 2.0 g