Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 15 mins
- 3⁄4 cup butter, unsalted, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon rind, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour, unsifted
- 1 -2 tablespoon water
- 3 egg whites
- 1 lb powdered sugar
- 2 -3 teaspoons water
- food coloring, sprinkles, etc, as desired
- Beat together butter and sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, lemon peel, vanilla and salt.
- Gradually beat in flour until thouroughly incorporated. Add water, a few drops at a time, only until dough starts to come away from side of bowl.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly grease 4 cookie sheets.
- On lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8" thickness. Cut out various shapes using cookie cutters or homemade cardboard patterns, or free-hand. Reroll scraps and cut out.
- Make small holes with wooden pick if planning to hang cookies. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until beginning to brown around edges.
- Remove cookies to wire rack to cool before decorating.
- Prepare icing: Beat egg whites in small bowl with electric mixer until foamy. Slowly beat in the powdered sugar. Continue to beat until thick and creamy.
- Add just enough water to get a good spreading consistency. Tint with food coloring, if you wish. Spread evenly over cookies.
- Decorate with glitter, sprinkles, or cinnamon red hots, or as desired.