There are many variations of mojo. It is the signature marinade of Cuba and it finds its way into many varied dishes. After searching through many recipes and cookbooks; I found this in on www.icuban.com and in "Three Guys from Miami Cook Cuban" by: three brothers-in-law, Glenn Lindgren, Raul Musibay and Jorge Castillo. Many mojos do not include oil; with or without oil the key element is "sour" orange, an almost bitter orange that grows throughout Cuba and now it flourishes in most Miami backyards. In a pinch use: 2 parts orange juice to 1 part lemon juice and 1 part lime juice. The key to a good mojo is in the proportions; garlic, salt, whole black peppercorns and sour orange juice are it's main ingredients.Update: 04/14/08 add a teaspoon of cumin (if you so desire) there are many recipes that call for it but we don't use it here! I have been using this mojo since I left my mother's house, as we always used it in Cuba and Haiti.:)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mash garlic, salt and peppercorns, using a mortar and pestle or use food processor.
- 2Stir in juice.
- 3Allow to sit for at least 30 minutes or longer at room temperature.
- 4*If making it without the oil - stop at this point and this makes a perfect marinade for seasoning, chicken, fish, pork &/or beef.
- 5Continue with preparing the mojo with oil - after you have stirred in juice add onion & oregano.
- 6Allow to sit for at least 30 minutes or longer at room temperature.
- 7In a saucepan heat olive oil to medium hot & then remove from heat.
- 8Whisk oil in garlic-juice mixture, until well blended.
- 9Stores for at least a week in the refrigerator.
Browse Our Top Marinades and Rubs Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Marinades and Rubs Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Traditional Cuban Recipe: Cuban Mojo (Cuban Marinade)
Serving Size: 1 (15 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 50
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 48.2
- Calories from Fat 39
- Total Fat 4.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 93.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 0.3 g