Recipe by Chef Original Mommadragon
This is our family recipe as dictated to me by my Great-Aunt. We have this every year during Easter and Christmas.
Top Review by JACK BS
This recipe is great! Thanks to your family for carrying it on...a truly lost art. My family RAVED about it. We are in KC and are used to 'KC Style' Povitica baked and sold at Strawberry Hill bakeries and this was exactly the same. It was so simple and I can't wait to make again and play with the fillings.
- 1 lb finely ground walnuts
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 0.5 (1 lb) box raisins
- 1 fresh yeast cake
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 5 cups flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine filling ingredients except raisins in a heavy saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring often, until the mixture is fairly thick (about 30 minutes). Set aside to cool.
- In a large heated bowl, combine yeast, warm water and 1/2 tsp sugar; stir until yeast is dissolved. Set in a warm place for about 5 minutes, until foamy.
- Combine 1/2 cup sugar, melted butter and salt. Add boiling water; stir and cool until lukewarm. Add this mixture to yeast.
- Stir in beaten eggs and add flour gradually.
- Turn out onto a floured board and knead about 5 minutes. This will be softer than bread dough. Place in a greased bowl; cover and set in a warm place to rise until double in bulk.
- Method for rolling out dough: Cover a work table with a large cotton dish towel or a cloth large enough to cover the entire table. Sprinkle cloth lightly with flour all over the cloth. Put dough in center and roll out as thin as possible with a rolling pin, maintaining a square or rectangle shape.
- Spread the pulled dough evenly with the prepared filling.
- Sprinkle with raisins.
- Roll up the povitica as for a jelly roll, by lifting the cloth up on one side and letting the dough roll itself up.
- Place in a large greased baking pan, two inches deep and form it into an "S" shape. Tuck in the ends and flatten it a little. This may also be cut in half and baked in angel food cake pans or bread pans.
- Cover and let raise for 2-1/2 hours in a warm place.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375°F for 10 minutes, then reduce to 350°F for 50 minutes until nicely browned.
- Cool in pan for 30 minutes then remove from pan and finish cooling on wire rack.