Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
One of the local favorites in Costa Rica, it's a wonderful and comforting meal. Black beans are the best in my opinion! I would recommend spicing this up a little with some hot sauce or even some slices of fresh hot peppers! It's very simple to make as well.
- 2 cups dried black beans (substitute with red beans or pinto beans)
- 6 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup lard or 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 8 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups yellow onions, diced
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, diced
- salt and pepper
- Rinse beans well.
- Soak beans in water in a saucepan for 2 hours.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer until beans are soft about 1 ½ hours. Remove from heat.
- Puree beans with their liquid, onions, bell peepers, oregano, cilantro, celery, garlic, and cilantro in a blender.
- Transfer to a saucepan and heat the soup at medium low temperature.
- Poach eggs in soup.
- Serve hot w/ fried flour or corn tortillas.