Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Same deal every year. Dressing that everyone loves. They dare me to deviate! It worked for my Grandma and my mom... My girls have this recipe in their hope chests!
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 6 cups cornbread, crumbled (approximately)
- 2 -4 cups herb stuffing mix
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth (not the condensed variety)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 eggs, boiled (then chopped)
- Preheat oven to 450*.
- Lightly grease a 13x9x2 inch baking dish.
- Melt butter in skillet; saute celery and onion till tender, about 3 minutes.
- In large mixing bowl, combine cornbread, bread, celery and onions, sage and black pepper.
- Stir broth and beaten eggs into cornbread mixture; blend well.
- Stir in chopped boiled eggs.
- Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Bake 30 minutes or until golden brown.
This was fabulous for our Thanksgiving dinner yesterday! The flavors are fresh and the finished dish is savory and moist. I added a chopped peeled carrot to the onion/celery mixture and omitted the boiled eggs. It made more than my 13X9 dish could hold so I also filled up a smaller casserole dish too. It was a huge hit. Thanks so much!
I made this for Thanksgiving because it was the closest to a recipe I once had from a DEEP East Texas friend's aunt (!). I lost the recipe, which also included some chopped chicken (made with the homemade broth) and she used regular bread crumbs (I used your recommended herb stuffing mix). My mother never had dressing (we always made stuffing), and she LOVED it. As did we all. Can't wait to make it again. Like another reviewer, I used a cornbread that I also thought too sweet -- gonna stick with the ol' tried and true homemade in the future. Thanks!
Perfect! Everyone raved about the dressing. This was my first attempt at cooking Thanksgiving Dinner and this recipe was very easy to put together and awesome! DH said it was the best he had ever had. The only changes I made were I did use practically all but 1/4 cup of a package of herb stuffing and I did add the boiled eggs. I used Sweet Cornbread Sweet Cornbread. Thank you so much for this recipe!