This is an old family recipie that has been passed down through the generations. In our home it is considered a special Christmas treat. Serve with mashed potatoes and choice of vegetables. We like to top ours with a little ketchup.
- Cut boil and mash potatoes with a bit of milk and set aside.
- In a very large pot combine meat with salt, pepper, onion, celery flakes and all seasonings and simmer on med to low heat for 1 hour. Stir occasionally.
- Once cooked drain liquid from meat mixture and replace with water and add potatoes.
- Mix well and refrigerate over night.
- Prepare pastry and divide dough for 6 double crust pies.
- Refrigerate pastry over night.
- Next morning roll pastry, line pie plates and fill with meat mixture and top with pastry. Cut a few slits in top crust and brush with egg wash. (To make egg wash.
- beat 1 egg with a tbsp of milk.).
- Bake at 425* for 25-30 minute.
- Cool and freeze in freezer bags up to 6 months.
- Reheat from frozen at 350* for 45-50 minute.