1/1 Photo of Traditional Christmas Meat Pie
Poppa Doug's Note:
This is an old family recipie that has been passed down through the generations. In our home it is considered a special Christmas treat. Serve with mashed potatoes and choice of vegetables. We like to top ours with a little ketchup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut boil and mash potatoes with a bit of milk and set aside.
- 2In a very large pot combine meat with salt, pepper, onion, celery flakes and all seasonings and simmer on med to low heat for 1 hour. Stir occasionally.
- 3Once cooked drain liquid from meat mixture and replace with water and add potatoes.
- 4Mix well and refrigerate over night.
- 5Prepare pastry and divide dough for 6 double crust pies.
- 6Refrigerate pastry over night.
- 7Next morning roll pastry, line pie plates and fill with meat mixture and top with pastry. Cut a few slits in top crust and brush with egg wash. (To make egg wash.
- 8beat 1 egg with a tbsp of milk.).
- 9Bake at 425* for 25-30 minute.
- 10Cool and freeze in freezer bags up to 6 months.
- 11Reheat from frozen at 350* for 45-50 minute.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Traditional Christmas Meat Pie
Serving Size: 1 (137 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 36
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 226.3
- Calories from Fat 130
- Total Fat 14.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 60.9 mg
- Sodium 346.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 16.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried celery flakes