Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This traditional dish leverages on the cinnamon and anise spices found in 5-spice powder. Great with rice with lotsa gravy to go along. I always add more 5-spice powder to the pot for enhanced flavour! You may even like to add hard boiled eggs to soak up the fragrant gravy. Remember to use firm or dried beancurd and not the soft mushy type!
- 500 g chicken wings
- 1 tablespoon five-spice powder
- 5 hardboiled egg
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1 bean curd
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons black soy sauce
- 5 dried Chinese mushrooms, soaked in warm water for 30 min
- 3 cups water
- 1 sprig fresh coriander
- Knead 5-spice powder over chicken.
- Brown garlic with 1 tbsp oil.
- Stir fry chicken wings. Add sugar, salt, soy sauce.
- Add 3 cups water, eggs, mushrooms (including the water they were soaked in) and beancurd when chicken is cooked. Add more five-spice powder and a dash of black pepper if desired. Cover and simmer for 30min or until chicken is tender. Garnish with coriander, if desired.
- Serve hot with jasmine rice.