Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Easy recipe based on a suggestion from Joy of Cooking, 1946 edition that does not appear in the 2006 edition: "Add to the mayonnaise strained chili sauce." And you thought southwest cooking was new. Chicken Salad for Sandwiches by ellie_ also played an important role, esp. the 2 Tbs. of lemon juice and parsley.
- 2 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 cups chicken, chopped, from above
- 3⁄4 cup celery, chopped (about 3 stalks)
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, solid part, chopped (about 6 stalks)
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dill seed
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons bottled chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- pepper (to taste)
- To make cooked chicken for salad (optional): Place chicken, celery stalk, and onion in water to cover. Bring to boil and then simmer for 15 minutes, until cooked. Remove chicken, place in cold water to stop cooking, and then reserve; discard the rest. Allow chicken to cool in refrigerator. Chop chicken. Yield: 2+ cups.
- In a medium bowl, combine chopped chicken, celery, green onion, fresh parsley, and dill seed.
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, chili sauce, lemon juice, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Pour dressing over salad and mix.
- Cover and refrigerate until mixed.