Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
An old time favorite.
- 1 lb boneless beef top round steak, cut 1/2 inch thick
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk or 1⁄2 cup sour milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons instant chicken bouillon granules
- Trim fat from meat; cut meat into 4 portions. Place between pieces of plastic wrap. Pound to 1/4-inch thickness. In a shallow dish, combine buttermilk and egg. In another dish, mix the 1/2 cup flour with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Dip meat into egg; coat with flour mixture.
- In a 12-inch skillet, heat 2 tablespoons hot oil over medium heat. Cook cutlets for about 8 minutes or until coating is golden and meat no longer is pink, turning once.
- For gravy: In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the 3 tablespoons flour and the garlic. Add 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Combine milk and bouillon. Stir in milk mixture all at once. Cook and stir until bubbly. Cook for 1 minute more. Serve with gravy.
Yummy southern cooking. I made this as directed other than I made the gravy in the same skillet as the steaks to get the crispies from the pan. Wonderful flavor and a great comfort meal. Thanks gailann for another keeper. Made for New Kids on the Block Tag.