1/2 Photos of Traditional Chicken Divan
1 hr 15 mins
No mayonnaise, no "cream of whatever" soups - just an old fashioned chicken divan recipe that is definitely worth the extra effort. You can substitute chicken thighs for the breasts and use any combination of shredded cheese that you happen to have on hand. You can also substitute any dairy product (i.e. cream) for the milk depending on how decadent you would like to be. The recipe can be doubled or tripled easily and it freezes beautifully. Serve over rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 325.
- 2Steam broccoli for 5 minutes until crisp-tender. Alternatively, place broccoli in a shallow bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave for 2-5 minutes (depending on the strength of your microwave) until crisp-tender. Drain in colander.
- 3In a medium frying pan, saute chicken breasts in olive oil until lightly browned, about 4-5 minutes per side. Remove from heat and drain on paper towls.
- 4In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook for 1-2 minutes to eliminate the taste of raw flour. Then gradually whisk in chicken broth, sherry and milk or half and half, until incorporated. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer until the sauce is the consistency you desire. Add just a dash of nutmeg. Add 3/4 of the cheese blend and whisk until combined. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 5In a 9x13 dish arrange chicken breasts (either whole or sliced) and broccoli. Pour sauce over top and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover with aluminum foil. Make several slits in the aluminum foil to allow the steam to escape.
- 6Note: At this point, the dish can be frozen or refrigerated.
- 7Bake in the oven for 30-45 minutes, taking off the aluminum foil for the last 10.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Traditional Chicken Divan
Serving Size: 1 (507 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 520.6
- Calories from Fat 229
- Total Fat 25.4 g
- Saturated Fat 13.1 g
- Cholesterol 94.5 mg
- Sodium 580.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.0 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 30.8 g