Recipe by Nurse Rain
This is a spicy, creamy tea that I make every Christmas. Its more my tradition than the authentic tea. Its tasty and sure to warm you from the inside out. Great for those with a cold or flu... clears your sinuses and settles your tummy.
Top Review by Bayhill
Chai tea is one of my favorite warm drinks, but so many of them are too sweet and artificial tasting. This chai is a perfect mix of spice and sweet. It is delicious!! Thank you for sharing this recipe. It is definitely a keeper!!
- 2 1⁄2 cups cold water
- 10 whole cloves or 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom
- 3 cinnamon sticks or 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 peppermint tea bag
- 1 orange pekoe tea bag
- 1 -2 teaspoon ground ginger or 1⁄2 inch chunk fresh ginger, depending on how spicy you want it
- 2 peppercorns or 1 pinch black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 -2 1⁄2 cups milk
Directions See How It's Made
- In large saucepan combine first nine ingredients.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer ten minutes.
- Remove from heat and strain with fine sieve or through coffee filters.
- Return to pot and add honey until melted.
- Add milk and heat through, but do not boil.
- Serve in clear mugs with a pinch of cinnamon on top.
- Merry Christmas!
- You can also store the tea without the honey and milk in the fridge, then just reheat and add milk and honey to taste.
- This is a nice tea to serve with gingerbread or shortbread cookies at gatherings.