Recipe by Secret Teenage Chef
This classic, double-layer cake has all the ingredients for a great party dessert. You can add 3 ounces unsweetened baker's chocolate and make it yummy and chocolate-y. Most of these ingredients are in your pantry too! Frosting recipe in the steps or you can use your own.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, one stick
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, divided
- 3 eggs, seperated
- 1 cup sifted flour
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted (optional)
- frosting, optional topping recipe (Step 5)
- shredded chocolate
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter 2 8-inch round cake pans. Line with nonstick sprayed wax paper. Lightly dust with flour.
- Mix butter and buttermilk (and the melted chocolate). If you have no buttermilk, just get a teaspoon of lemon juice or vinegar and add enough milk to make one cup. Add 1 cup sugar to egg whites and beat until they form peaks. With remaining 1/2 cup of sugar, beat egg yolks until thick.
- Add yolk mixture to buttermilk mixture. Alternately add egg whites (about a third at a time) and flour into the buttermilk/yolk mixture. Stir until smooth, but don't overmix.
- Divide into pans and bake for 30 minutes or until inserted knife comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes. Remove from pan. Assemble with your own frosting or --.
- Topping: Whip 2 cups of heavy cream + 3 tablespoons sugar. Spread about a quarter of the whipped cream between the layers. Finish decorating cake with remaining whipped cream. Sprinkle shredded chocolate evenly over top and sides of cake.