Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Rich and buttery, just as it should be.
- 250 g butter
- 100 g margarine
- 1.23 ml salt
- 250 g sugar
- 250 g flour
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 5 eggs
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- Preheat oven to 180degrees celsius.
- Sift baking powder and flour into a bowl.
- In another bowl, cream margarine, butter, salt and sugar till fluffy. Add eggs in one at a time, only after the previous egg has been thoroughly mixed into the batter.
- Add vanilla and sifted ingredients into the batter and mix well. Pour into a greased and lined 8 inch square pan and bake for 50 minutes.
- Note: it might start getting kinda brown at 20 mins, so I strongly reccomend that you tent it with tin foil after around 20 mins, to prevent the top from burning due to the large amt of butter in the recipe.
This is excellent .. I loved this cake... My sister made this and as you can see in her review .. this is identical to something we used to have as kids, I had a hard time with the measurements but it worked in the end and this came out perfect I also added nutmeg and it was the icing on this cake lol .. I LOVED IT!!!
I made this cake today and it was really really good. It reminded me of the traditional butter cake i used to eat as a child. I made it according to the instructions, but i added a pinch of nutmeg to the dry ingredients which was an ingredient present in the cakes i had as a child. Also my cake took much longer to bake,around 20 minutes more, maybe because i used a round 8inch square pan. It is a very satisfying and comforting cake and i will definately be making this again. Thanks!