Recipe by Pikabree
Make a Victorian Sandwich Sponge cake, the original British way (very few ingredients needed).
Top Review by rayaninha
I just loved it! I was looking for a simple and classic recipe and this one is perfect! My cakes normally go very wrong, but with this recipe I finally could make it right! At last, success! And I could even improvise. Because I didnt have much margarine I added very little milk to the marg+suger mix and got the creamy body. Now I can say I know how to make a good cake. Thank you!!
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4, 180°C, 350°F then mix the sugar and margarine together until creamy.
- Beat the eggs then add one at a time, stirring until it is runny.
- At this point you could add flavour if you wanted.
- Sieve the flour into the bowl, then mix altogether until all the flour is gone.
- Grease the tins with margarine and then divide equally between two tins, and bake for 25 minutes.
- Take them out and put on a cooling tray for 10 minutes.
- Cut out both sides, and put them together like a sandwich.
- Oh, and be sure to add jam or something delicious between the two cake halves.