1/20 Photos of Traditional British Toad-In-The-Hole and Mini Toads Too!
French Tart's Note:
Comfort food at its best! A traditional recipe handed down to me by my Mum and her Mum before her......it was my favourite after school tea time meal & is still a firm family favourite even now! I serve mine with lashings of onion gravy and piles of fluffy & buttery mashed potatoes. I used to make mini versions of this recipe for my daughter when she was little - they make great appetizers before a Halloween/Bonfire night supper or a children's Party! For the mini version, just use a small cake/pie tins or a small muffin tray and split your sausages into quarters OR use cocktail sausages. The following recipe is for 4 people served with potatoes & gravy - the recipe can easily be doubled for more people or if served by itself.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 220°C or 450°F.
- 2Pour the dripping or vegetable oil into a large metal roasting tin. Place the tin in the preheated oven whilst you make the batter to heat the oil/dripping up.When the fat is hot, add the sausages and turn them over to coat them.Cook for about 10 minutes.
- 3Make the Yorkshire pudding batter - Mix flour, salt & pepper together in a large roomy mixing bowl. Make a hollow in the centre & add the egg, mixing it into the flour with a wooden spoon.Add the milk gradually until all the flour and egg is worked in and smooth. Add any remaining milk and beat well with a balloon whisk or hand held beater.
- 4Take the roasting tin with the sausages out from the oven and very QUICKLY pour the batter over the partly cooked sausages. Swirl around to make sure it covers everywhere.
- 5Put them back into the oven cook for a further 30 minutes or until the batter has puffed up and the sausages are sizzling and brown!
- 6Cut into 4 quarters and serve straight away with hot onion gravy & mashed potatoes!
- 7You can also use pork or lamb chops instead of sausages - making sure they are not too thick. I often use pork chops with quartered apple and stuffing balls which is really lovely!
- 8MINI TOADS:.
- 9Twist a sausage into half and carefully cut through the skin to make 2 sausages - do this once more to each half making a total of 4 small sausages out of one big sausage. (Or use party cocktail sausages - mini frankfurters) carry on until you have made 12 mini sausages. Follow the instructions above, but only cook the mini sausages for about 5 minutes first and then another 15 minutes with the batter. Serve with tomato ketchup or home made tomato sauce/relish and mugs of soup for a great Winter supper!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Traditional British Toad-In-The-Hole and Mini Toads Too!
Serving Size: 1 (227 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 541.1
- Calories from Fat 337
- Total Fat 37.5 g
- Saturated Fat 13.3 g
- Cholesterol 167.3 mg
- Sodium 1099.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 21.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: