Prep 1 hr 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is my mums recipe which she has been cookin since the early 1950s, I've asked her where she got it from but its been that long she can't remember; I had cravings for this whilst recently pregnant and religiously cooked one on a Sunday which I ate all to myself as DH was on a diet and my daughter decided she didn't like it without trying it (typical 5 yr old!) I usually don't measure the sugar or sultanas which are scattered over the bread and just guess it, it all depends on how sweet your tooth is. Prep time includes standing time.
- 4 slices bread, buttered and crusts removed
- 4 ounces sultanas
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 pint milk
- 2 ounces sugar
- Cut the buttered bread slices into quarters and arrange half in an ovenproof dish.
- Scatter over half the sultanas and 2 tbsp sugar.
- Repeat with the second layer of bread and scatter over remaining sultanas and 2 tbsp sugar.
- Make the custard by beating the eggs with the 2 oz sugar and milk.
- Pour over the bread.
- Leave to stand for approx an hour.
- Cook at 150 C for approx an hour until the custard is set, make sure the oven isn't too hot as the custard will curdle.